BACK
NEXT
SSPL_10221357_preview
10221357
Add to Lightbox Add to Lightbox Buy Image Buy Image

This image is protected by copyright law. Please contact us for advice on our licensing terms, before reproducing it for commercial purposes.


To save a small version of this image for mock-up or research purposes, right click (or control click on Macintosh) and Save Picture As...

Levis motorcycle, 1916.

This small Levis was first introduced by Butterfields Ltd of Birmingham in 1911. It proved to be a popular lightweight machine which was simple to maintain and economical to use. While the road performance and steering were mediocre, the simplicity of the machine’s two-stroke engine and direct belt drive resulted in a standard of reliability which, at this early stage in design, enhanced the practical value of the motorcycle as an effective mode of transport. The small vertical two-stroke engine produces 3 hp and has a capacity of 211cc. A Fellows magneto is driven by an enclosed chain from the crankshaft and power is transmitted directly to the rear wheel by a Pedley ‘Vee’ belt. The machine weighs approximately 120 lb in total.

Image No. 10221357 | This is a Rights Managed image.

Inventory No.: 1952-0176_0001
Source No.: 1952-0176

Credit © Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved.
Search for related items:
To search for related items, choose from the following related keywords. To search multiple keywords, select multiple checkboxes and click Search Selected. To search for a single keyword, click the keyword itself.
Show items that have:
View Lightbox View Lightbox Print Lightbox Print Email Lightbox Email Copy Lightbox Copy Rename Lightbox Rename Delete Lightbox Delete