BACK
NEXT
SSPL_10243045_preview
10243045
Add to Lightbox Add to Lightbox Buy Image Buy Image

This image is protected by copyright law. Please contact us for advice on our licensing terms, before reproducing it for commercial purposes.


To save a small version of this image for mock-up or research purposes, right click (or control click on Macintosh) and Save Picture As...

'The Hearts of Oak Benefit Society', certificate, c 1869.

Chromolithograph certificate printed by McCorquodale & Co Ltd, Cardington Street, completed in 1894 with handwritten inscriptions to mark the membership of Thomas Scriven. A Trade Union emblem is included, with vignette scenes centred around the 131-gun warship HMS 'Hearts of Oak'. Also shown are sailors, and figures representing Britannia, Neptune, Agriculture, Commerce and Father Thames. Founded in 1842, the Hearts of Oak Society was the first Friendly Society to embrace purely financial, rather than social or craft, heraldic functions.

Image No. 10243045 | This is a Rights Managed image.

Inventory No.: 1987-1198
Credit © Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved.
Search for related items:
To search for related items, choose from the following related keywords. To search multiple keywords, select multiple checkboxes and click Search Selected. To search for a single keyword, click the keyword itself.
Show items that have:
View Lightbox View Lightbox Print Lightbox Print Email Lightbox Email Copy Lightbox Copy Rename Lightbox Rename Delete Lightbox Delete