BACK
NEXT
SSPL_10300901_preview
10300901
Add to Lightbox Add to Lightbox Buy Image Buy Image

This image is protected by copyright law. Please contact us for advice on our licensing terms, before reproducing it for commercial purposes.


To save a small version of this image for mock-up or research purposes, right click (or control click on Macintosh) and Save Picture As...

Motor fire engine, 1904.

This machine was the first self-propelled petrol motor fire engine used by a public fire brigade. It was delivered to the Finchley brigade in north London on 23 November 1904 by Merryweather and Sons, Limited, who had built the very first motor fire engine eight months previously for the Rothschild estate in France. The power unit was used for both propulsion and pumping. The tank below the driver's seat is a sixty gallon soda-acid first-aid appliance. The engine originally carried a fifty-foot telescopic escape ladder.

Image No. 10300901 | This is a Rights Managed image.

Inventory No.: 1930-0256
Source No.: 1930-0256

Credit © Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved.
Search for related items:
To search for related items, choose from the following related keywords. To search multiple keywords, select multiple checkboxes and click Search Selected. To search for a single keyword, click the keyword itself.
Show items that have:
View Lightbox View Lightbox Print Lightbox Print Email Lightbox Email Copy Lightbox Copy Rename Lightbox Rename Delete Lightbox Delete