BACK
NEXT
SSPL_10307538_preview
10307538
Add to Lightbox Add to Lightbox Buy Image Buy Image

This image is protected by copyright law. Please contact us for advice on our licensing terms, before reproducing it for commercial purposes.


To save a small version of this image for mock-up or research purposes, right click (or control click on Macintosh) and Save Picture As...

St George's Hospital, Hyde Park Corner, London, c 1837.

Engraving by J White, for 'Chamberlain's History of London'. The St George’s Hospital was established at Lanesborough House, Hyde Park Corner in 1732, when the Westminster Public Infirmary moved there when it outgrew its existing premises in Chapel Street. The hospital grew from 30 beds to 250 within twelve years of moving to Lanesborough House. In 1829, the hospital was completely rebuilt on the same site, but by the time the National Health Service was founded in 1948, it was felt that the hospital was unsuited to the demands of modern medicine, and most of St George’s functions moved to a new site in Tooting, South London. The Hyde Park Corner site finally closed in 1980.

Image No. 10307538 | This is a Rights Managed image.

Credit © Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved.
View Lightbox View Lightbox Print Lightbox Print Email Lightbox Email Copy Lightbox Copy Rename Lightbox Rename Delete Lightbox Delete