BACK
NEXT
SSPL_10325616_preview
10325616
Add to Lightbox Add to Lightbox Buy Image Buy Image

This image is protected by copyright law. Please contact us for advice on our licensing terms, before reproducing it for commercial purposes.


To save a small version of this image for mock-up or research purposes, right click (or control click on Macintosh) and Save Picture As...

Site clearance at Queen Victoria Street, Blackfriars, London, c 1869.

One of a series of photographs by Henry Flather showing the construction, undertaken between 1866 and 1870, of the Metropolitan District Railway's (MDR) underground lines between Paddington and Blackfriars via Kensington. The line laid by the MDR from the 1860s onwards was designed to provide a rail connection for travellers between London’s mainline railway terminals, situated in a ring around the city centre. It now forms part of the existing District and Circle Lines on the London Underground. The Queen Victoria Street thoroughfare was built simultaneously with the MDR and was opened in sections between October 1869 and November 1871. The line between Blackfriars and Mansion House was opened on 3 July 1871.

Image No. 10325616 | This is a Rights Managed image.

Inventory No.: 1984-1516_0045A
Credit © Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved.
View Lightbox View Lightbox Print Lightbox Print Email Lightbox Email Copy Lightbox Copy Rename Lightbox Rename Delete Lightbox Delete